10.19.2008

MMM Tortillas


If you have never had a fresh, hot, home made tortilla you don't know what you are missing!  Up until a few months ago I had not enjoyed home made tortillas but my penny pinching ways forced me to give them a try.  Flour tortillas in my grocery store are approximately $2 for 10 of the large burrito size.  Not a lot of money but when you are pinching a penny to stretch it as far as it will go that is a lot of money.  So I hit the Internet to see what  I could find. 

Here is what I found: BLOG

Here is the recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup lukewarm milk (2% is fine)

Of course I can never follow directions. (Just ask my mother.) So here is how I changed the recipe.
*I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
*I used water instead of milk (how penny pinching is that!)
*I added a pinch of sugar to give the heat something to caramelize because I omitted the milk.
*A second batch I omitted the baking powder.  The baking powder makes them puffy and chewy.  If you like a thicker tortilla go ahead and leave the baking powder in the batter.

Technique:
I put the flour, salt, baking powder ( if you are using ) in my food processor and gave it a quick pulse or two.  Then I put in my oil and let it whirl.  Then with the machine on I streamed in the water till it pulled away from the sides of the bowl and formed a ball. ( or a couple small balls )

Then I dumped it out on a floured table and formed all the dough into one big ball.

Cover with a clean cloth and let it sit for about 10 minutes.  This will let the gluten in the flour relax and you will have an easier time rolling our your tortillas.

After 10 minutes divide your dough into 10-12 parts.  I have a small digital scale so I do 2 oz. balls.  This will make a ball about the size of a large walnut.  Roll these balls into tighter balls and cover and let rest 10-15 minutes.

Roll out the dough balls as thin as you can get them.  In my opinion the thinner the better!  Keep in mind when you cook them they will be about twice the thickness of what you roll them.

I use a non stick griddle pan to cook them.  Preheat the pan on medium high.  Cook the tortillas one at a time.    You will know it is time to flip the tortilla when small bubbles pop up on the top of the tortilla.  Much like bubbles in pancakes.   Flip and cook approximately another 30 seconds or so.

I keep them on a plate covered with a piece of plastic wrap that way they are able to steam and become more supple.  For best results serve immediately but they an be reheated in the microwave under a damp paper towel for a few seconds.

There you have it.  Fresh tortillas.  Yet another way I pinch a penny.

No comments: