11.11.2008

Limoncello



Limoncello. Just saying it makes me want to go to Italy.  But then again, it doesn't take much for me to WANT to go to Italy.  Limoncello is a fabulous lemon liqueur originating from southern Italy made from the rinds of lemons,  alcohol, sugar and water.  (There are just so many fabulous things about that last sentence!)  If you have not had the pleasure of having limoncello as an after dinner digestivo or over ice cream you need to try this recipe.  From what I have heard making your own is far better than what you can purchase at the liquor store.

After watching Michael Chiarello on the Food Network I was surprised at how easy it was to make!  I use vodka in my recipe because vodka is so cheap!  I find the cheapest bottle I can find because I am just going to be flavoring it, not enjoying it for the flavor of vodka. I was so cheap, yummy and easy to make, I made it for my husband to take to the office for Christmas presents.  It was well received!  If you are thinking of making this for Christmas presents I would get started very soon.  It takes 4 weeks to macerate.  So here you go:

Limoncello
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello Show: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello Episode: Gaucho Gusto

Ingredients

12 Meyer lemons, or a mixture of lemons and limes, peel only, no pith
3 sprigs lavender, optional but lovely
2 liters light rum or vodka
6 cups sugar
3 cups water

Directions

Put the lemon peels, lavender, if using, and rum or vodka in a container and let stand for 4 weeks.

Strain the mixture into a decanter.

Mix the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool before adding to the rum mixture.

Serve in small aperitif glasses.

Store in the freezer for up to 1 year.

**If you are truly pinching pennies I found this recipe can be cut in 1/2 but if you are waiting 4 weeks for it to macerate you are going to want it more and more.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, don't put the lavender! Bleah! And no need to wait 4 weeks, 1 is more than enough!
Rum or Vodka are not the best choise, but if you want to use one of them, better vodka!
Ciao, Chiara from Italy! :)